At the heart of Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church is a dynamic faith community of children, youth, and adults. Our formation offerings aim to foster God’s love in an affirming, grace-oriented, and mission-focused setting. We are offering four adult classes on Sunday mornings beginning on September 13. This is Us, our newcomer's class will take place at 9:00 AM. At 11:00 AM, we will offer three additional adult classes. There will also be synchronous and asynchronous offerings for children and youth. And of course, we will continue to provide a vibrant and robust selection of Bible studies and meditation opportunities. We are incredibly excited about our Great Wednesday program. Earlier this year, we had the chance to hear from Dr. Catherine Meeks of the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing. This fall, we will have a monthly Great Wednesday webinar event with different speakers that will include the much-respected theologian Miroslav Volf and our presiding bishop, The Most Rev. Michael Curry. Stay tuned for information on our other speakers. As always, please read The Palmer to stay up-to-date.
For more information, please contact Roger Hutchison, Palmer's Director of Christian Formation and Parish Life.
PALMER COFFEE HOUR ONLINE
Join your fellow parishioners and clergy on Zoom at 11 AM on the first Sunday of each month for Palmer's virtual coffee hour. No agenda, just a chance to visit with other Palmers. You can watch the pre-recorded service at 10 AM, then join this Zoom gathering at 11 AM, or come to the coffee hour first and then watch the service later. A link to the coffee hour will be shared by email prior to the event. Contact Roger Hutchison for any questions.
- Liturgy Preparation for Children takes place each Sunday on Zoom from 9:15 AM - 10:00 AM. We also encourage your child's participation in a new formation initiative offered by Forma and Foreword Movement called "This is NOT Sunday School." We will also continue using materials from StoryMakers NYC.
- Youth Christian Formation - Join us at 11:00 AM! The youth will explore the weekly Gospel readings, challenging questions, and more. Contact Jack Karn at for more information
- Adult Christian Formation - Adults will gather together at 11:00 AM on Zoom and then divide into classes. These classes will end at noon.
- Read, Mark, Learn - Each Sunday, the Revised Common Lectionary (a resource shared among many denominations) assigns four readings from scripture to be used in common worship. While a preacher draws on one (or all) of those readings, there is always more to explore than the sermon can cover. This Coffee Hour Class, led by Palmer clergy, provides a chance to slow down, dig in, and explore scripture in community. Wherever you fall from biblical scholar to novice student, there is something for your soul here.
- Book Study: The Righteous Mind - Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion - Division is rampant in our country right now, and we are quick to denigrate other points of view without giving those views full consideration. Join us for a book discussion of Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion, where we will seek to appreciate the underpinnings of different viewpoints and increase our understanding of how to talk to others. An initiative of Palmer's newly formed Faith and Justice Ministry. Cathy Troisi will facilitate this discussion. Please order the book ahead of the class by clicking here.
- Less-anxious Parenting - an 8-week series with Trisha Taylor - Trisha Taylor is a counselor, author, consultant, and speaker based in Houston, TX. Counseling is a crucial component of Trisha's ministry, and she enjoys working with individuals, couples, and families. She works to provide a safe place where people who are hurting or confused can find God's grace and wisdom. This class is for parents of young children through teens.
- Topics: Anxiety basics, Less anxious parenting strategies, Anxiety - yours, Anxiety - theirs, Emotion coaching for parents, Building resilience, and Love Languages for kids.
NEWCOMER CLASS MEETING ONLINE